Fire Control 2008-2009
Fire Control in the Wandering District
Notice to owners and occupiers of land in the Shire of Wandering
Pursuant to the powers contained in Section 33 of the Bush Fires Act, you are hereby required on or before the 31st day of October, 2008 or before such later date as the Council may, according to local conditions decide, to plough, cultivate, scarify or otherwise clear of all inflammable materials and thereafter maintain the firebreaks clear of all inflammable materials, up to and including the 15th day of April, 2009.
- For properties in the rural residential zoned land known as Blackboy Springs Estate, clear firebreaks, not less than 2 metres wide, inside and within 20 metres of the road reserve. For all other rural holdings with an area of 80 hectares or less clear firebreaks, not less than 2 metres wide, inside and within 20 metres of the entire boundary.
- For property owners with combined rural holdings in the Shire of Wandering of area greater than 80 hectares satisfy at least one of the following conditions:Clear firebreaks not less than 2 metres within 20 metres of the perimeter of all buildings on the land and recommend that all flammable material be removed for a distance of 2 metres immediately adjacent to all buildings.
- Have on stand-by an operational fire-fighting unit of minimum 450 Litre capacity. In cases of more than one such holding in the Shire of Wandering, a minimum of one unit is required for the total land holding.
- Clear firebreaks of not less than 2 meters wide, inside and within 20 metres of the boundary of all rural land held.
- Clear firebreaks, not less than 20 metres wide, around the perimeter of any bush exceeding 10 hectares in area prior to carrying out a clearing burn.
- Plantations (regarded as a clump of planted trees greater than 10 hectares or 25 acres in area):Mobile Fire Fighting Units:
- Clear firebreaks not less than 10 metres wide immediately inside all external boundaries of land.
- Clear internal firebreaks not less than 10 metres wide surrounding compartments of maximum area of 100 hectares.
Throughout the above mentioned period during the conduct of the harvest of grain and seed an operational mobile fire fighting unit, self propelled or with towing vehicle, of minimum 450 Litre capacity must be in close proximity to the harvest activities at all times.
If it is impracticable for any reason to clear firebreaks in the position required by this notice, the approval of the Council must be obtained to provide them in an alternative place. If for any reason it is found impracticable to construct firebreaks in accordance with the provisions of this notice by the set date, which is the 31st day of October, 2008, you are requested to notify the District Chief Fire Control Officer or the Chief Executive Officer of the circumstances.
- Ploughing of roadsides in the Shire of Wandering is prohibited. Burning on roadsides is only permitted outside the prohibited and restricted burning period and only in heaped piles - no strip burning.
- Camp fires within the Shire of Wandering during the restricted and prohibited burning period are prohibited at all times.
- Pursuant to the powers contained in Section 27 of the Bush Fires Act, the operation of a tractor towing a harvester or a self propelled harvester (including a straw baler), without a operational fire extinguisher as defined by the Act, is prohibited during the restricted and prohibited burning periods.
- Pursuant to the powers contained in Regulation 39 a fire extinguisher together with a container of at least 450 Litres of water is to be provided at the site of chaff cutting operations.
- Rural property owners are urged to fit a 38mm female cam lock coupling and check valve to their water storage tanks to allow easy access to water by fire fighters.