Wandering was discovered by members of the George Stedman Watts Family when they found their straying wagon team horses grazing in the lush grass around a fresh water spring known till this day as Horse Well. The year was 1859, and the earliest property "Grassdale" (located on the south eastern approach to town) was selected in the year 1861. To this day, this property is still in the possession of the Watts Family. The village was called Wandering to recall the first sighting of the wandering stock.

More information about the history of Wandering can be found in our local history book "The Horses Came First".  Wandering's growth was restricted when the rail link to the south east by-passed the town. Whilst the link has long since been removed, the consequence of this decision will stay with Wandering forever.

Statue by Len Zuks
The Horses Came First. Statue by Len Zuks commemorating the history of Wandering.