Building Approvals

Building or Renovating?

If you propose to erect any building or outbuilding, alter or make additions to any existing building or outbuilding, demolish or remove any building or outbuilding, construct a swimming pool or erect a patio, pergola or the like then you need to apply for town planning development and building approval.

All Application for Building Approval forms can be found on the Department of Commerce Website.  Go to Application for Building Approval Forms to access forms.

Application for Town Planning Approval forms can be found here.

Request for Building Plans and Building Related Documents

If you require building plans or other building related documents please fill in and submit this form.

Dividing Fences

If you require specific information relation to the process of agreeing to, and sharing the costs of a dividing fence with your neighbour then please read the current Dividing Fences brochure.

The Dividing Fences Act 1961 deals with the process of sharing the costs of building and maintaining your dividing fence, with your neighbour. Other matters regarding boundaries are dealt with by other legislation, government agencies and/or the Courts.

Alternatively, you can access the complete Dividing Fences Act 1961 here or by going to the State Law Publisher website at

If you require further information please contact the Building Commission on 1300 489 099.

Swimming Pools & Spas

Legislation in Western Australia requires a barrier to be provided around private swimming or spa pools for the protection of young children who may enter that area with or without the knowledge or consent of the owner or occupier of a property.

Building Industry Development has produced a number of publications to assist swimming pool and spa owners, as well as local government swimming pool inspectors, understand swimming pool and spa barrier requirements.

For site specific advice as to whether your swimming pool or spa barrier complies with the requirements, please contact your local government. Contact details are available on the Department of Local Government web site.

To view the Western Australian legislation pertaining to private swimming pools, please view Part VIII of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1960 and Part 10 of the Building Regulations 1989 which are available from the State Law Publisher.

The Australia Water Safety Council has released the Australian Water Safety Strategy 2030 - towards a nation free from drowning.  If you would like to read this strategy, please click here.

Smoke Alarms

Since 1997 it has been mandatory to install smoke alarms in all new residential homes and any existing homes that have undergone significant renovation.

New regulations require existing homes that are subject to sale, lease or hire, be fitted with smoke alarms that are connected directly to consumer mains power (hard-wired) in accordance with the Building Code of Australia.

For more information or to download a Fact Sheet on smoke alarm requirements, please visit the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) website at